Do I need an ESTA for New York?

Do I need an ESTA for New York

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) is an online form and you need it for your New York trip. ESTA is a part of the enhanced security requirements in the US. Anybody travelling to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) needs an ESTA. VWP allows most Australian Citizens with a valid and electronic passport, to visit the US for up to 90 days without a visa. Even though you do not need a visa, you are required to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) at least 3 days BEFORE you leave for New York.

How do I apply for ESTA?

It is easy to apply for ESTA online. It will cost $14 and should be paid by credit card or with PayPal. Usually you will receive an approval to travel to New York within a couple of seconds, but it can also take a bit longer. You can go to ‘Check ESTA Status’ on the website and login to see the status of your application. It is not a good sign if it takes too long. I advise you to apply on time to avoid problems. “Authorization Approved” means ESTA was approved and you are good to travel, “Travel Not Authorized” means you must contact your embassy or consulate and “Authorization Pending” means you need to check the status later again.

Make sure your travel partner and other family members also fill in this information. Even babies travelling without a flight ticket still need their own ESTA form. ESTA is valid for 2 years and you can retrieve it on their site if you travel again to New York. You don’t need to re-fill the information either. Exception is if your passport has changed, then you need to reapply and pay the fee again. You should be aware that there are companies who are willing to do the application for you and will charge more. Please know that you are then paying for a service that is not necessary. Everybody can apply for ESTA themselves.

Eric’s Tip: It’s possible to apply for an ESTA for multiple people, in a group-application. In my experience, however, there are often more complications that come up with these applications. I recommend making all applications separately. It will take a little more time but will ensure that the application goes through without frustration.

Do I need to fill in any more forms?

You don’t need to fill in extra forms if you have an ESTA, but if you have a visa, you do. Best is to check with the flight attendant handing out forms during the flight and bring a pen with you just in case. Customs forms are handed out mid-flight and you should fill it in right away, do not wait until you are at customs. Family that has the same surname only needs to fill in one form for the whole family.

How long do I need to have left on my passport?

Do you have an Australian passport and are you travelling with an ESTA? In order to enter the United States your passport must be valid up to and including the day that you are due to leave the country again. To avoid problems in unexpected situations, like a missed or cancelled flight or sickness, it is more advisable to travel with a passport that has a longer validity period. Also, every traveler, including children and babies must have their own passport. (This information was last updated on July 1st, 2019).

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies and the Privacy Policy. Find out more here.
Search tickets