eTA New York to Canada

eTA New York to Canada

The eTA for Canada is an electronic travel authorisation that is required when travelling by plane from New York to Canada. In addition, if you are flying through Canada to another destination you will also need an eTA. If you’re planning on travelling to Canada over land or water, there’s no need to apply for this authorisation.


Who is required to apply for an eTA?

All visa-exempt non-Canadian citizens should apply for an eTA. US citizens or travellers with a valid Canadian visa aren’t required to obtain an eTA. The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and valid for five years or until the expiration date of your passport, whichever is sooner.

How do I apply for an eTA?

You can easily apply for your eTA through the official website of the Canadian government. It costs $7 CAD. In order to apply you will need a valid passport, credit card and an email address.  The online application forms are only available in English and French. On the website, a PDF file with instructions in several other languages is available. Most applications are approved within minutes. There’s no need to bring a digital copy or printout of your eTA, but I do recommend printing a copy. Have a look at the official website of the Canadian government for more information about the eTA.

Day trips from New York to Canada

If you’re planning on going on a day trip from New York to Canada, for example from New York to the Niagara Falls, there’s no need to apply for an eTA. From New York, you can reach Niagara Falls by bus or plane. If you’re travelling by bus, you’re travelling by land and therefore, you’re not required to obtain an eTA. If you’re travelling by plane, you’ll land on the American side of the border and cross it by bus. In that case, again, there’s no need to apply for an eTA.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies and the Privacy Policy. Find out more here.